1 a contract granting the right to operate a subsidiary business; "he got the beer concession at the ball park" [syn: grant]
3 a point conceded or yielded; "they won all the concessions they asked for"
- /kənˈsɛʃən/, /k@n"sES@n/
- Hyphenation: con·ces·sion
- the act of conceding, especially that of defeat
- something, such as an argument, that is conceded or admitted to be wrong
- the grant of some land to be used for a specified purpose
- In the context of "mostly|US": a contract to operate a small business as a subsidiary of a larger company, or within the premises of some institution; the business itself and the space from which it operates
something, such as an argument, that is conceded or admitted to be wrong
- Finnish: myöntäminen
the grant of some land to be used for a specified purpose
- Finnish: myöntäminen
a contract to operate a small business as a subsidiary of a larger company, or within the premises of some institution
- Finnish: toimilupa
Concession can mean either:
- Concession (politics): failure to challenge or cessation of challenging, as in "conceding an election" or "conceding a game".
- Concession (contract): a contracted-out service, as in concession stand.
- a contractual right to carry on a certain kind of business or activity in an area, such as to explore or develop its natural resources.
- Concession (discount): in UK English, a price discount for a certain category of person.
- Concession (territory): an area within one country that is administered by another, usually conceded by a weaker country to a stronger one.
- Concession: a village in Nova Scotia
- Concession road: a grid-based road system in Ontario and Quebec
concession in German: Konzession
concession in Spanish: Concesión
concession in Esperanto: Koncesio
concession in French: Concession
abatement, abatement of differences, acceptance, accommodation, accordance, acknowledgment, adjustment, admission, agio, allowance, appease, appreciation, arrangement, assuage, avowal, award, awarding, bank discount, bargain, bestowal, bestowment, boutique, breakage, brevet, calm, cash discount, cession, chain discount, chain store, charge-off, charter, circumscription, co-op, communication, composition, compromise, conciliate, conferment, conferral, confession, contribution, cooperative, cop-out, countinghouse, country store, cut, deal, declaration, deduction, deliverance, delivery, department store, depreciation, desertion of principle, dime store, diploma, discount, discount house, discount store, donation, drawback, emporium, endowment, establishment, evasion of responsibility, exception, exemption, extenuating circumstances, five-and-ten, franchise, furnishment, general store, gifting, give-and-take, giving, giving way, grain of salt, grant, granting, hedge, hedging, house, impartation, impartment, intervene, investiture, kickback, lean, letters patent, liberality, liberty, limitation, magasin, mail-order house, market, mart, mediate, mental reservation, modification, mollify, mutual concession, offer, owning, owning up, patent, penalty, penalty clause, percentage, persuade, placate, post, premium, presentation, presentment, prevail, price reduction, price-cut, profession, propitiate, provision, qualification, quiet, rebate, rebatement, recognition, reduction, refund, reservation, restriction, retail store, rite of confession, rollback, royal grant, salon, salvage, salvo, setoff, settlement, shop, shrift, soothe, special case, special treatment, specialness, specification, store, subscription, supermarket, supplying, surrender, sweeten, tare, time discount, trade discount, trading post, tranquilize, tret, unbosoming, underselling, understanding, variety shop, variety store, vouchsafement, waiver, warehouse, wareroom, wholesale house, write-off, yielding